National Clinical Staffing Framework NHS Improvement approved
08/08/2016 - 07/08/2019
Easy, flexible, free and ready to access now the NHS Procurement in Partnership National Clinical Staffing framework provides access to temporary and permanent staff for a wide range of clinical roles, including:
- Medical and Dental Staff
- Nursing and Midwifery
- Other clinical staff, including Allied Health Professionals and Health Science Staff.
The framework allows for various supply routes including tierred supply, master vendor and neutral vendor solutions.
Over the last few years, the amount of money spent on agency staffing has increased to around £3.3 billion per year.
In late 2015 Monitor and the NHS Trust Development Authority (now part of NHS Improvement) set maximum rates the NHS should pay for temporary staff – those rates were lowered again in February and April 2016. All agencies awarded a place on the framework have agreed to provide candidates within the April rate caps set by NHS Improvement.
The new partnership National Clinical Staffing framework has been developed by the NHS hubs in consultation with NHS HR Directors, Staff Bank Managers and procurement specialists from across the NHS; and through close working with NHS Improvement to ensure that this framework is tailored around and fully compliant with the current rules. Agencies have also been consulted during the development period, and their proposals for the best ways for the NHS to manage costs and demand without compromising clinical quality and patient safety taken into consideration.
This framework has been created in consultation with NHS Improvement, in order to support the agency pricing cap rules which came into effect November 2015. Using this framework ensures that your organisation is compliant with current NHSI regulations and is future-proofed to take into account any further agency price regulations.
All suppliers have been audited pre-award to ensure that their processes and procedures comply with NHS Employers standards.
Trusts are able to use agencies as employment businesses, direct engagement, neutral vendor or in master vendor arrangement.
Compliant with April Rate Caps and July wage caps.
Easy, flexible, free and ready to access now
The framework is free to the NHS and other relevant public sector organisations.
Under this framework, our customers have the option to choose how they source their temporary staff. Customers are able to choose a traditional agency model or directly engage temporary or permanent staff, use a neutral vendor or if preferred, contract with one agency for all clinical staffing groups.
The Clinical Staffing framework has three lots:
Lot 1 – Employment Business
Under this lot agencies supply temporary workers and pay the worker.
Lot 2 – Employment Agency
Agencies supply either temporary or permanent workers to the trust, but the trust pays the worker, with the agency receiving a commission fee.
Lot 3 – Neutral Vendor
The supplier acts as a neutral party. They do not supply their own staff, but instead manage the supply chain.
Lot 1 – Employment Business service delivery model
- 1A Nursing and Midwifery staff - The supply of suitable and capable temporary nursing and midwifery staff
- 1B Medical and dental staff - The supply of suitable and capable temporary medical and dental staff
- 1C Other clinical staff - The supply of suitable and capable temporary clinical staff
- 1D All clinical staff - Where suppliers are successful in Lots 1A, 1B and 1C they are automatically assigned a spot on 1D.
Lot 2 – Employment Agency service delivery model
- 2A Nursing and Midwifery staff - The supply of suitable and capable substantive (fixed term or permanent) nursing and midwifery staff
- 2B Medical and dental staff - The supply of suitable and capable substantive (fixed term or permanent) medical and dental staff
- 2C Other clinical staff - The supply of suitable and capable substantive (fixed term or permanent) clinical staff
- 2D All clinical staff - Where suppliers are successful in Lots 2A, 2B and 2C they are automatically assigned a spot on 2D.
Lot 3 – Neutral supply chain managed provision service
- All clinical staff - The supply of suitable and capable clinical staff, from suppliers already featured on Lot 1 (without prejudice), where that candidate pool is neutrally managed by a supplier, and that supplier has no direct candidate themselves.
Please click below to view the OJEU notice: